User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Akai Fire »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 15th, 2024, 6:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Akai Fire
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Akai Fire  (Read 1852 times)
M3

MIDI-OX Rules!

Akai Fire
« on: Feb 25th, 2020, 12:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So I have a 5 keyboard rig with several modules. I've purchased an Akai Fire to use all of the pretty buttons to control everything, ie.. push the upper left button and it loads patches throughout the whole rig, then sends sysex messages back via ch1 to the controller to change the color of the rgb at the button pressed. So far, I have figured out how to control all of the lights on the Fire as well as identified all of the MIDI messages which happen once a control is pushed or turned. All good so far. What I would like to do is feed back a boat load of commands to illuminate the Fire with a sequence of color changes. all for flash. Ideally, I would have a file with those commands that I can recycle everytime a button or pad is pressed... so push button (pad), patches load everywhere, then a little light show happens with the sysex messages from a file that automatically trigger as if chained to the pad press event (note on). So as I can already press a pad, grab the MIDI and trigger patch changes... I would like to then call a (reuseable) file to do the rest of the neato stuff. sorry it's lengthy but wanted to paint a clear picture. Also, if anyone wants the information on what i'm doing on the Fire i'm happy to share.
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: Akai Fire
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29th, 2020, 7:25pm »

Hi
you don't say, but I'll assume you are doing this through MidiOx.
Are you using the scripting functions ?  
I think this is the only way to do it probably with assistance of Python.

You can't use any of the built in things like DataMap or PatchMap, so what have you been trying out so far?

I have to say with what sounds a bit complex, I would be writing a C++ application to do it all.

All the best
Royce
IP Logged
M3

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2020, 8:27pm »

I'm a developer but rusty. really just need to translate the midi and customize the routing. I have tried a few programs just to see if it was possible without getting into writing my own thing. downloaded some librarys but there is very little clear help on them. I am quite sure, with my proof of concept, it will work but I have a lot of Hex ahead of me to do it. I have no python experience and i'm not up for learning yet another programming language... 6 under my belt thus far and even if I picked it up quickly, still a long road with what I need to do.
As far as what i've been using, Pocket Midi because I can send custom messages to test stuff out. works but I need an automated translator.
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Mar 1st, 2020, 7:14pm »

As a fellow "creaky" developer I wonder if you have heard of Juce. Give it a Google.
My friend loves it and it looks to be a good investment in the time to learn as it will run on Win, OSX, iOS and Android all with the same code.
Write once, execute everywhere.

You can use all free compilers (MS  Studio seems to be be the one for Win.)  
So if you are a MS C++ coder you could be halfway there.

I am tempted as I have a few tablets that I would like to press back in action.

MidiOx...
One of the downsides of non-scripted MidiOx is that it can't remember changing states.
ie if I have sent a CC 7 23 then make all notes louder.
You can make notes louder in MidiOx but you can't have an "IF" dependency.
(Bizarrely now that I write it out,  you could make notes louder with a patch change message in a  Patch Mapping)

This might be possible Bome's Midi Translator

Hope that helps
Royce
IP Logged
xhevahir

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2020, 9:56pm »

I was interested in the Akai Fire a while ago. Have you seen the series of blog posts here? [url] https://blog.segger.com/decoding-the-akai-fire-part-1/[/url] . I wasn't able to figure out how I might use it outside of FL Studio, myself. (And Image Line don't seem to be very concerned with supporting it, either.)
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: Apr 1st, 2020, 10:17pm »

I'm not sure what you are trying to do.
Do you have a 'Akai Fire' ?

Stay well
Royce
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.