User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  Ā« MIDI-OX User Forum - using a midi controller like a computer keyboard?? Ā»
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 3:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   using a midi controller like a computer keyboard??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: using a midi controller like a computer keyboard??  (Read 16045 times)
thestadiumcrowd

MIDI-OX Rules!

using a midi controller like a computer keyboard??
« on: Jun 27th, 2010, 5:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I have downloaded midi-ox but I'm going nowhere fast with my problem.

What I would like to do is assign a key on my midi controller (49 Key, piano style usb, midi controller) to become a typical pc keyboard command.

For instance, when I press C1 on my midi controller, it would type the letter A in notepad.  

Or a group of keyboard commands.

For instance, when I press D1 on my midi controller, it would be like pressing Shift+A on my pc keyboard.

Is this possible, and if so, would someone be kind enough to give me a tutorial on how I may be able to do it?

Cheers,
TSC
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

Re: using a midi controller like a computer keyboa
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 7:24am »

That's not what MIDI OX does.
IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
thestadiumcrowd

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 3:39am »

Thanks for the reply.  

I had hoped it might do the trick. There is another program available (I won't mention here) that does the exact thing I want, but unfortunately it won't actually work with the application I would like to use this for.
So, atleast now, I don't have to keep wasting time on trying for an impossible configuration.

Midi-Ox is a great program though!! I've been able to do some pretty cool things with it anyway.

Thanks again.
TSC
IP Logged
maiki

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 12:50pm »

I'm curious. If you don't mind answering--

Why do you want to do that?

Many want to do the opposite--use a computer keyboard as a MIDI keyboard. Of course it is not as good as a MIDI keyboard, but if one is out somewhere with the laptop, without a MIDI cable, that can come in handy, and is possible, using some kind of virtual piano app, along with a virtual midi cable like MIDIYOKE.

I cannot myself imagine any use for using a MIDI keyboard as a computer keyboard. So I am curious--

Why?
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 4:13pm »

on Jan 1st, 2011, 12:50pm, maiki wrote:
I cannot myself imagine any use for using a MIDI keyboard as a computer keyboard. So I am curious--

Why?
In case the original poster never comes back, I'll throw this in:

An awful lot of software exists that knows absolutely nothing about MIDI but does know about mouse/keyboard events.  Think about what you could do from a MIDI control surface if you could control any program running on your computer...  It's not about typing into a word processor...
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2011, 4:14pm by Peter L Jones » IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
laserbeak43

MIDI-OX Rules!

laserbeak43   laserbeak43

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2011, 4:08pm »

I'd say that's fairly closed minded.
This sort of thing would be great for setups with just a piano and a monitor with no room for a mouse and keyboard, without it becoming a mess(like my setup). to control navigation through software like synthesia.
IP Logged

Peter L Jones,
My personal hero!!
babotas

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11th, 2011, 12:17am »

Although I am a blind donkey, I can see an application for he who can play a Piano really fast, but can't type.

Could even be such a virtuoso player that wouldn't even need to emulate the backspace key.
IP Logged
rraymond

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2012, 8:45am »

There is a program called SOUNDPLANT which uses a computer to play samples (sound effects / drum effects) triggered by pressing the keys on the computer keyboard.  To trigger the sample from a midi event requires a translation from the midi event to a keyboard event.
IP Logged
AhClem

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2012, 9:56pm »

We have a (limited release) product, the Dbot, that has the ability to convert DMX data into keystrokes on your computer. (I've also seen it control the mouse cursor via DMX, but we've never found a good use for it) Most of our Dbot customers wanted a way to control a laser graphics systems application that uses the 1-9 number keys to select a "bank" of graphics and the F1-F12 plus the modifiers Shift/Ctrl/Alt to select from 48 preset images/sequences/etc. by including the "keystroke" commands in the DMX cues.
Since I'm trying to use MIDI-OX/Yoke to interface the software with an APC40 controller at the moment (we already support some forms of MIDI input control) , while it's a roundabout way of controlling your Powerpoint slide show from you're MIDI console, it definitely do-able.
IP Logged
acdc2000

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21st, 2017, 3:53am »

this is usefull for software that have PC keyboard shortcuts but no midi learn function. so you can assign pads to choose functions, for example play, record, rewind.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.