User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Trouble loading old sysex »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Trouble loading old sysex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trouble loading old sysex  (Read 250 times)
Skim_Industries

MIDI-OX Rules!

Trouble loading old sysex
« on: May 17th, 2024, 5:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello.

I've been using midiox to transfer sysex patches to and from my Kawai K1 for many years with ease, although I am no longer able to load any data that I saved several years ago.

There is no connection issue. I can load and dump new data at present. However, when I attempt to load any of my older blocks, the K1 does not receive any message. Even the official Kawai sysex data from their website will not be received.

Could this be some kind of device I.D. information that is included in the sysex file?

I am a novice with midi messages, having only used midiox to transfer sysex up to this point. I do not think my old sysex data has been corrupted in any way.

Any help with this would be enormously appreciated, thank you!
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: Trouble loading old sysex
« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2024, 3:12pm »

Hi
I assume you have turned off the internal protection (System-4 INT PROTECT)
Enable the receiving of Sysex SYSTEM RCV-11 .

SYSTEM RCV-2 is the Midi channel to receive data (page 43 of the manual).  

I couldn't find the Sysex details for the K1, but the K3 uses Midi channel as the third byte at the start of the Patch dump.
So if you know about hex editors you could read the third byte of your patch data to see if it matches your current setting in the K1.
Or  
start at SYSTEM RCV-2 =1 and try to load the patches.
If Not SYSTEM RCV-2 =2 and try to load it.
If Not SYSTEM RCV-2 =3 and try to load it.
If Not SYSTEM RCV-2 =16 and try to load it.

Hope that helps
Royce

IP Logged
Skim_Industries

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25th, 2024, 4:16pm »

Hi Royce,

I managed to solve the problem by comparing the sysex numbers of a patch that I saved years ago with the same patch dumped today.
Discovered that the second hexadecimal needs to be '01', rather than '00'.

I don't know what that number represents, but making this one adjustment to the old sysex files will allow them to load.

The reason for this change remains a mystery. All official sysex files from Kawai use '00'. It is definitely not my hardware as I tested this with two different machines. The only thing I can think of is an automatic driver update to my midi interface, maybe bundled in with a dreaded Windows update...

In any case, thank you for the suggestions and I'll take this opportunity to declare that MIDI-OX is an awesome piece of software!
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2024, 2:35pm »

on Jun 25th, 2024, 4:16pm, Skim_Industries wrote:
Hi Royce,

I managed to solve the problem by comparing the sysex numbers of a patch that I saved years ago with the same patch dumped today.
Discovered that the second hexadecimal needs to be '01', rather than '00'.

I don't know what that number represents, but making this one adjustment to the old sysex files will allow them to load.

Often the sysex format (there is no agreed sysex format except for the F0, the Manufacturer ID (can be more than one byte)  any old data bytes 7F or less then the F7 to mark the end
Often you will see the byte after the Manfacturer ID, often the third byte for the older manufacturers, is a unit ID.
This enables you to chain multiple synths, particularly of the same type (with Midi Through connected to the next synth's Midi In... Then coming out of that's synth Midi Through into the next synths Midi In etc)

The idea is to have the music Midi going through the chain to all the synth and to separate the music tracks by channel, but still having the ability to send sysex to a particular  device (the sysex message has no channel byte).  

As mentioned the K4 uses the first data byte after the Kawai ID as a pseudo Midi channel (not part of the sysex specification) to do the job of separating chained devices, so I guess that it might be the same for the K1.

Quote:
The reason for this change remains a mystery. All official sysex files from Kawai use '00'. It is definitely not my hardware as I tested this with two different machines. The only thing I can think of is an automatic driver update to my midi interface, maybe bundled in with a dreaded Windows update...

In any case, thank you for the suggestions and I'll take this opportunity to declare that MIDI-OX is an awesome piece of software!

I think so too. Thanks Jamie OConnell.
Glad you got it sorted

All the best
Royce
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2024, 9:14pm by Breath » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.