User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - MidiYoke and DXi Softsynth »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 11:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   General
   3rd Party
(Moderator: admin)
   MidiYoke and DXi Softsynth
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MidiYoke and DXi Softsynth  (Read 4442 times)
cwswpl

MIDI-OX Rules!

MidiYoke and DXi Softsynth
« on: Mar 9th, 2003, 9:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm looking for a wrapper that will allow me drive a DXi Softsynth as a standard Windows MIDI device.

Can MIDIOX or MIDIYOKE help here?

If not, can you recommend any other software for this?
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: MidiYoke and DXi Softsynth
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2003, 11:47am »

The very nature of DXi requires that the SoftSynth be loaded by a DXi host.  The host is usually a Sequencer or Audio Recorder or Editor.  A DXi is not an active program that can be run stand-alone, although it would be possible to construct an application that would operate either way, and some offerings from NI do this.  They are not operating as DXi's when they are running stand-alone, and you can just hook up to any available MIDI device for input.

I don't know of any stand-alone non-sequencer that will load and run DXi's.  There is a stand-alone VST Synth player from Steinberg, but then you would need a VST to DXi wrapper to use it.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

cwswpl

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2003, 4:52pm »

Thanks Jamie.  I guess you're right - I am looking for a DXi host that will list itself as a MIDI Device.  

Are you familiar with the DXi API?  How hard would this be to construct.  It seems like the sort of thing that someone should have done already somewhere on the internet!

When you say "some offerings from NI", what is NI exactly?

IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2003, 5:49pm »

Almost by definition, a DXi host will read MIDI In, which means you can use MIDIYoke/OX to direct MIDI data to it from somewhere else.

(I don't use DXi, only VSTi, but use Muzys to host Bismark BS-16 just to use it as a softsynth, with Windows MIDI Mapper outputting to one MIDI Yoke junction, MIDI OX in the middle and Muzys reading from another MIDI Yoke junction.)
IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2003, 10:35pm »

Quote:
It seems like the sort of thing that someone should have done already somewhere on the internet!  

I can't argue with you there.  I've been somewhat busy or else I might have looked into it.  

Quote:
When you say "some offerings from NI", what is NI exactly?

I should really be more careful about abbreviations and acronyms: NI is Native Instruments.  They sell SoftSynths that support DXi, VSTi, and also run stand-alone.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2003, 2:00pm »

on Mar 10th, 2003, 4:52pm, cwswpl wrote:
It seems like the sort of thing that someone should have done already somewhere on the internet!

Oh, and pop over to K-v-R and see what "small" DXi hosts are available - there's a nice search facility.
IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.