User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Adjusting Velocity of Touch Sensitive Keyboard? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 6:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Questions and Discussion
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Adjusting Velocity of Touch Sensitive Keyboard?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Adjusting Velocity of Touch Sensitive Keyboard?  (Read 3474 times)
Maximus

Email

Adjusting Velocity of Touch Sensitive Keyboard?
« on: Apr 21st, 2002, 11:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Folks

I have started to use my touch-sensitive keyboard with my PC sequencer software and have noticed a bit of a problem.  

Heres is my music setup:
Yamaha DJX Midi keyboard
Fruity Loops 3.4 sequencer
PC Midi Flyer parallel midi interface

When I record with my Yamaha DJX keyboard into a Fruity Loops channel, the velocity seems way too soft. I have to hit the keys hard to register adequate velocity.  Now, I'm happy with the keyboard's overall sensitivity to light and hard touch registering velocity, except that it all seems to be 50% too soft for the velocity spikes I need to register in my sequencer

I have tried to change the velocity settings on the keyboard itself, but I still have the same problem; velocity is too soft when recorded to Fruity Loops.  I could go into Fruity Loops after I record and adjust the velocity that way, but I really want to record real-time with the correct attack on each note I play.

Can MidiOx help in "calibrating" velocity ouput of my keyboard? If so, how would I go about doing this?

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Max
sjmedia@mindspring.com
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: Adjusting Velocity of Touch Sensitive Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23rd, 2002, 2:00pm »

If you insert MIDI-OX into your MIDI chain between your DJX and Fruity Loops (connected by MIDI Yoke), you could setup a mapping to increase the velocity.  I should point out though, that I think Fruity Loops is just recording the velocity that is coming in from the keyboard.

Look in the MIDI-OX monitor at the value of the velocity registered when you play the keyboard at the desired pressure you want Fruity Loops to use as maximum.  As an example, when you play the keyboard firmly the velocity shown is 105.  We can set up a mapping so that the 105 velocity is seen by Fruity Loops as being 127 (maximum):

* NoteOn  0  127  1  105 |  *  *  *  *  1  127

You can adjust the map as necessary.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2002, 2:02pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

LifeForceExplorer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 1st, 2002, 6:04pm »

Hello Jamie - I'm glad to see Midi-Ox offers this function! Im also using a Yamaha keyboard (a P80). I use it like a controller with the software sampler GigaStudio as my source of musical instruments - in a Win98se PC. And I use the sequencer PowerTracks 8.

Could Midi-Ox help me with velocity on this set up as well ? I get a maximum velocity reading in the mid 80s (!) right now. I need something I can set up and put to use easily to solve this so I can concentrate on writing music. It if involves a LOT of set up steps and tweaking EACH time that I work, then I am less interested, and more inclined to buy a new controller instead.

Sounds like you can map something out if I give you the numbers. Please let me know what to do and how easy it is to install and use Midi-Ox for this problem. Thanks, John B.
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 2nd, 2002, 6:12pm »

Your case would be very similar: you install MIDI Yoke.  Then attach your Yamaha Keyboard to MIDI-OX and MIDI-OX to GigaStudio via MIDI Yoke (or do they have their own Virtual driver?).  In any case, you then setup a mapping like:

* NoteOn  0  127  1  89 |  *  *  *  *  1  127

This would map all velocities from 1 to 89 into velocities of 1 to 127 (Max).
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

LifeForceExplorer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 2nd, 2002, 6:20pm »

Thank you Jamie - Sorry to be stupid but how do I "attach" my keyboard to Midi-Ox and Midi-Ox to Midi-Yoke ? We're talking about software, right? Are these actually things I do at my computer ? If so, how do I do them? Thanks - LFE
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 2nd, 2002, 6:32pm »

After you have MIDI Yoke installed, it appears as another MIDI Driver in the Options | MIDI Devices... list.  

To attach MIDI-OX to your keyboard and powertracks (for instance), you'd select your keyboard as the Input device (more specifically -- the MIDI driver attached to your keyboard), and MIDI Yoke 1 as your Output device.  In powertracks you'd select MIDI Yoke 1 as your Input device.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.