User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - SONAR, Virtual Piano, and MIDI OX, Yoke »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 27th, 2024, 2:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Questions and Discussion
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   SONAR, Virtual Piano, and MIDI OX, Yoke
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: SONAR, Virtual Piano, and MIDI OX, Yoke  (Read 29925 times)
AlanI

MIDI-OX Rules!

SONAR, Virtual Piano, and MIDI OX, Yoke
« on: Mar 27th, 2003, 3:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

First of all, thanks for a very nicely done forum. As confusing as all this MIDI stuff can be, it's nice to know that there are folks out there who can help.

My situation is this: I run SONAR on Win2k to do various digital waveform and MIDI editing. I find that in my current MIDI project, I need to "tap in" some notes to get a particualr pattern using a midi device (as opposed to manual placement of notes). I don't have a midi keyboard, so I was hoping to use the Virtual Keyboard that comes with SONAR. Alas, their Virtual Piano dosn't run on Win2k. I was advised to get AnalogX's Virtual Piano. I did and it runs fine. Now, how to get SONAR to "see" it as a valid MIDI input device? Again, I was advised that MIDI-OX and MIDI-Yoke could do this for me.

Well, everything is installed and I've been reading help files and experimenting, but I've yet to be able to get it to work. I've installed the MIDI Yoke drivers and they seem to be running fine. SONAR sees the MIDI Yoke input and output ports just fine in its MIDI devices dialog. The Piano sees them as well.

After some reading, it seemed that I needed to make the Virtual Piano's output MIDI Yoke port #1, and make SONAR's input MIDI Yoke #1. I did that (I think) but to no avail. The Keyboard still does SONAR stuff while SONAR is running, and doesn't provide any MIDI input that I can see.

I would very much appreciate it if someone who is familiar with this sort of thing could help a person out and kindly step me through the steps I need to take with the AnalogX Piano, MIDI OX and Yoke, and SONAR to get everyone to "play together" nicely.

I feel that I'm very close and with just a little bit of help from someone who is experienced, I'll be able to tap in all the patterns in SONAR that I need using my computer keyboard.

Thanks very much,

-Alan Iglesias
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

Re: SONAR, Virtual Piano, and MIDI OX, Yoke
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2003, 3:10pm »

First, let's try to find out what exactly is working and what isn't.

MIDI OX comes with a neat little MIDI file player, MIDI-Bar.  It's a useful source of MIDI messages for testing.  Load it up and open a MIDI file of your choice.  It's probably going to be useful to pick a short one and set MIDI Bar to loop mode.

Next, load up MIDI OX itself.

Select View->Port Status to see the port activity monitor.  Then select View->Input Monitor to see what events MIDI OX sees on its input.

Mmm, guess we better tell MIDI OX what input to monitor.  Select Options->MIDI Devices.  Turn off "Automatically attach inputs to outputs" if it's on.

Now, you want to monitor input on MIDI Yoke junction 1.  So click that under MIDI Inputs and make sure nothing else is selected.  Then click okay.

The port activity monitor should have a single numbered input line (plus MIDI-OX Generated Event).

Okay, back to MIDI Bar.  Click the second icon to select the MIDI output port and choose MIDI Yoke Junction 1.  Then press the play button.

MIDI OX should show the events and the lights should flash nicely.

That proves MIDI Yoke and MIDI OX are working before we try anything any more complicated.

Oh, turn looping off in MIDI Bar for this next bit.

The next easy bit is Sonar.  Keep MIDI Bar and MIDI OX open, launch Sonar and make sure you've got MIDI Yoke Junction 1 selected for MIDI Input (I don't use Sonar, so I can't help with how).  Assuming you can record MIDI events somehow in Sonar, start recording.  Then switch to MIDI Bar and push play.  You should see some indication in Sonar that it's recording MIDI events.  Stop recording and see if you can list the events recorded.  If you can't, then you need to concentrate on getting this working.

Okay, assuming that works, close Sonar for now.  We'll see if Virtual Piano is going anywhere.

Start that up and make sure its MIDI Out is set to MIDI Yoke Junction 1.  Again, I've not used Virtual Piano, so you'll have to find your own way around, I'm afraid.  Set your screen up so you can see MIDI OX's port activity monitor and then start playing the virtual keyboard.  You should see some activity.  If not, you need to concentrate on getting this working.

Once you've done that, you can launch Sonar again and try recording from Virtual Keyboard (again, trying to keep MIDI OX's port monitor visible).  It should "just work"...
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2003, 3:11pm by Peter L Jones » IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
AlanI

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2003, 4:27pm »

Hi Peter, thanks so much for the quick, informative reply.

I'll let you know how it went once I've had a chance to follow your steps.

Thanks again,

-Alan
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2003, 7:33pm »

In addition to Peters excellent reply I wanted to mention:
Quote:
I don't have a midi keyboard, so I was hoping to use the Virtual Keyboard that comes with SONAR. Alas, their Virtual Piano dosn't run on Win2k

I believe it will install and run on Win 2K, but you have to install it in compatability mode.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

AlanI

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2003, 7:53pm »

Thanks, Jamie.

What does "compatibilty mode" mean, exactly?

-Alan
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2003, 11:58pm »

I think I misspoke: apparently compatibility mode is only a feature opf Window XP: you can right click on an EXE and tell it to run in compatibility mode for various other OS versions, including Windows NT 4.

The only problem with Virtual Piano is the installer: it will work fine under Windows 2000 once installed.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

AlanI

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2003, 11:44am »

>>The only problem with Virtual Piano is the installer: it will work fine under Windows 2000 once installed. <<

So, is there a way to install it under Win2k that you can tell me about? This would really simplify what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!

-Alan
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 12:31am »

You need a utility that will lie to the installer about the version of Windows you are running.  I don't know of anything specific I can name, but there must be something like that around for Windows 2000.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2003, 10:19am by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

AlanI

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 10:33am »

Hmmm...sounds interesting, but I haven't the slightest idea of what one would use, or even what one would call it to do a search. Maybe I'll do a search on "Windows 2000 Installer"? Anyone else out there have any ideas?

Thanks everyone for your time,

-Alan
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2003, 10:34am by AlanI » IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 5th, 2003, 11:38am »

Get The file 2 messages below...
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2010, 10:20pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

AlanI

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #10 on: Apr 5th, 2003, 12:45pm »

Wow! Thanks, Jamie!

I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works for me...

Thanks again so very much,

-Alan
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 31st, 2008, 7:50pm »

It looks like that driver no longer works in Win XP.  Here's a version of Virtual Piano that allows choosing of an output driver (such as MIDI Yoke):  
VPianoYoke.zip
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2008, 7:51pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Clint

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:02pm »

Hi, Alan.

Microsoft has a compatability tool available (free download).
That may solve your problem.
IP Logged
maiki

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #13 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 12:42pm »

The advantage of the Cakewalk-early Sonar-pre XP Virtual Piano was that it did not need a virtual MIDI port like MIDIYOKE, as it had its own built-in.

I don't know of any other like that. Don't know why no one (including Cakewalk, why they did not update their VP to run in XP) makes one now, AFAIK.

All the virtual pianos in use now (using the computer keyboard to play real time MIDI keyboard input) require a virtual MIDI port to be installed as well, such as MIDIYOKE, LoopBE, Maple Virtual MIDI Cable, Sony has one (formerly SoundForge), I dont know if there are others.

The nices I have tried is Bome's Mouse Keyboard. (It is not just to use with a mouse though, but uses the computer keyboard as well.) Has not been updated in a few years, but still very good. I think the web site for it is www.bome.com
IP Logged
rahulrockers143

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #14 on: Jun 6th, 2016, 7:02am »

I also uedSONAR on Win2k to do various digital waveform and MIDI editing. i work on project if i needed i contact you.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2016, 9:29am by Breath » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.