User Forum :: Powered by YaBB
« MIDI-OX User Forum - Inconsistent SysEx file sizes and data »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 22nd, 2019, 7:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Questions and Discussion
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Inconsistent SysEx file sizes and data
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Inconsistent SysEx file sizes and data  (Read 646 times)
smenaker

MIDI-OX Rules!

Inconsistent SysEx file sizes and data
« on: Apr 26th, 2004, 11:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am trying to backup my Boss DR-670 Drum machine to my computer via SysEx dumps using Midi-OX 7.0

The DR-670 is connected to my computer's SBLive joystick port with the appropriate MIDI cable kit.  

The DR-670 allows you to break down the dumps into 3 seperate options - Seq(which contains all the patterns and songs), Util (which contains user settings), and Kits (which contains drum kit settings).  The Util and Kits contain substantially less data than the Seqs.  When dumping the Util and Kits I end up with consistent byte counts and compares always come up with exact matches.  The problem is with the seq dumps.  The data recieved through these seq dumps is completely inconsistent - one time I'll recieve 66000 bytes and the next time 66250 bytes, etc...  Even when I am able to come up with the same byte sizes - the compares show many mismatches.  The largest chuck of data during these dumps is 237 bytes - so I set my input buffer size to 256 and number of buffers to 32.  I've tried every possible buffer combination with no success.
I've tried using MIDI-OX on Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP (hoping that it was a driver issue) with no success.  I also tried a generic SB128 PCI soundcard with no success.  

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I can't even begin to explain how much time was spend on these drum patterns - having to reproduce them would be unbearable -  I need a reliable backup in the worst way.  Thanks Huh
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: Inconsistent SysEx file sizes and data
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 3:07am »

I have had Mixed success (and failure) using the SB Live 'game port' MIDI controller.  You would likely get more consistent results with a dedicated MIDI interface.

We regularly test MIDI-OX SysEx handling using both an Edirol UM-880 interface, and internal testing using MIDI Yoke.  The latter is performed by Dumping a file from one MIDI-OX instance to another via a MIDI Yoke connection, and then performing a binary compare on the results.  

After success with that, you can try a similar experiment, creating a hardware loopback with the SBLive and again dump from one MIDI-OX instance to another via the hardware loopback.   If there are errors on the latter, you can be pretty confident that it is a MIDI interface problem.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

smenaker

MIDI-OX Rules!

Re: Inconsistent SysEx file sizes and data
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 8:56am »

I'm only using this for Sysex backup purposes so I don't want to break the bank on an elaborate dedicated midi interface - do you think that I could use something like a Eridol US-1SX (which is a 1X1 USB interface) ?  Am I understanding you correctly that a USB solution might be better than a soundcard/joystick?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.