User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Realtime Delay »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Questions and Discussion
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Realtime Delay
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Realtime Delay  (Read 1841 times)
Stan_T

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

Realtime Delay
« on: Mar 11th, 2008, 9:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I want to use an old MIDI keyboard to "play" my sound card on my computer. I'm running Vista on a newer Gateway computer. I purchased an M-Audio USB to MIDI interface and connected my Casio MT-240 to the computer. When I run MIDI-OX, if I make the USB-MIDI the input, and my sound card (RealTek, integrated in the motherboard) the output, I can play the sound card patches from the Casio. However, there is a delay between the time I press a key on the keyboard and the sound that comes out of the speakers. This delay is just enough to make realtime playing impossible. Is there any way I can eliminate the delay so that the tone is generated instantly when a press a key?
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

Re: Realtime Delay
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 1:59pm »

This is nothing to do with either MIDI-OX or MIDI in general.

It's to do with the size of the audio buffers on your soundcard.  You'll be getting a similar delay between pressing "Play" and hearing a sound file start playing back.

I have a buffer size of 128 samples on my soundcard.  At 44100 samples per second, that's about 0.0029s delay.  The speed of sound in air is 1126.547 ft/s at 20C.  So that's the equivalent of being about 3-3.5' from the source.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008, 2:07pm by Peter L Jones » IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
Stan_T

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 10:32pm »

What can I do to increase the size of the buffer?
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 6:26am »

I assume you are using the Microsoft(MS) GS Wavetable Software Synthesizer as I don't think the Realtek has a hardware synth on it.
The mixer is usually marked "SW Synth" if it is then you can rule out a hadware synth.
Software synths take a bit of time to get through the MS layers of code.
Try this web page it may help.

http://www.1manband.nl/microsoftsynth.htm
it uses Direct X to bypass the layers of Microsoft code.
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 1:55pm »

on Mar 11th, 2008, 10:32pm, Stan_T wrote:
What can I do to increase the size of the buffer?

Increasing the buffer increases the delay.  You want the smallest buffer your PC is capable of.
IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
Stan_T

MIDI-OX Rules!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 3:42pm »

Thank you both, Peter and Breath. The DirectMusic Producer and MIDI-Yoke solved the problem.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.