User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Instrument Panel »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 3:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Questions and Discussion
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Instrument Panel
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Instrument Panel  (Read 1803 times)
PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

Instrument Panel
« on: Nov 21st, 2018, 4:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,
I just began to realize the power of MIDI-OX (as I've discovered that I can emulate the synths and piano(s) that decorate my living room), and I'm having difficulty with the functionality of the "Instrument Panel". No matter where I move the "Instr" folder and its contents (starting from its original location, and then even to the "C:\" root directory), none of the drop-downs (other than the "Bank Select Method") display anything.
The "Instr" folder does contain the files that were installed with setup, I use the "..." button to select the desired folder, and a quick look at the registry does indeed reflect the correct folder, and even if I manually place a value in the "InstrFile" key, nothing appears in the M-OX dropdowns (and the registry value for "InstrFile" is blank again when I look).
I have the latest version of M-OX, I found a post somewhere that referenced this problem and some discussion with replies by Jamie OConnell, but no solution.
I don't normally play with the registry, and I usually use all the installation defaults.
I've got a GM setup, the GM.INS file is there, and I'm scratching my head on this one.
Windows 7 PRO, 64bit, with the latest M-OX version (7.0.2.372).  All the other functionality, mappings, translations, folder assignments, etc. work fine.
I'd be glad to donate once this really helpful feature works. I'm using CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth as my MIDI OUT, and using M-OX "Data Mapping" to branch channel 1 to multiple channels for a really rich sound,  and with this feature working, I can easily map and assign patches, and have M-OX as the only program I need running to practice and goof around. I've found the work-arounds (manual assignments on the keyboard, Control Panel, snapshots (which require re-sending each time I load), but it's a shame that this feature isn't working on my machine.
Thank you so much for some help!
Kevin
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018, 4:49pm by PunchDrummer » IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: Instrument Panel
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24th, 2018, 11:42pm »

Try placing the Instrument Definition File(s) under a folder at: C:\MIDIOX\Instr and specify that as the "Instrument Definitions Folder".  

Once you do that, Any "*.INS" files in that folder should immediately appear in the dropdown.  Select the GM.INS and "General MIDI" and "General MIDI Drums" should be available in the "Instr:" drop down.

You shouldn't need to edit the registry for this one.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25th, 2018, 3:18am »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply!  
Yes - I tried that as you suggested. I had previously tried something similar, but still, the boxes won't populate, and the ".INS files are indeed there. I mentioned the registry because the location you suggested (and my own) i.e.: "C:\MIDIOX\Instr") (no quotes) IS updated there when I change it in by selecting the location (not typing) in InstrumentPanel, but still, the drop-downs  are empty, even after shutdown and restart.
If you could suggest an alternative - ie: How to save and resend a standard set of patches to MIDI OUT (Coolsoft), that would be great. I can save and reload "STATE", but I have to manually click on each channel's assignment in ControlPanel to reprogram the synth.  
Pretty weird not having the drop-downs populate.
Uninstall doesn't remove everything, so perhaps if I do a manual sweep including the folders and any MIDI-OX entries left in the registry.....
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26th, 2018, 2:35pm »

As a sanity check, I believe the commands do a rudimentary check on the contents of the INS file(s).  Can you open the GM.INS file in Wordpad and check the contents?  It should begin something like:

Code:

; ----------------------------------------------------------------------

.Patch Names

[General MIDI]
0=Acoustic Grand Piano
1=Bright Acoustic Piano
2=Electric Grand Piano
3=Honky-tonk Piano
4=Rhodes Piano
5=Chorused Piano
6=Harpsichord
. . .

Any line starting with ";" is a comment and can be ignored or discarded.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018, 2:38pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2018, 10:46pm »

Hi,
Thanks for the response!
I found that when I run MOX in an XP Virtual Machine, the Instrument Panel works correctly. There is either an issue with it on WIN7 64 Pro, or I've got something goofy disagreeing with MOX.  I think I can live without those features - I can change patches easily in Control Panel - just no names, numbers only.
I do have the latest version (7.0.2.372).
I'll update if I figure it out.
IP Logged
PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2019, 6:19pm »

I've found that a work-around to MOX not being able to see the ".ins" files on the "C:" drive, regardless of security context, is to have them on a logical drive other than the boot drive. I can't "see" why - although I imagine that if I monitored the appropriate system logs I might see it.

I've got a "Recovery" partition (from Lenovo) on my main drive, with an assigned drive letter. I placed them there in a directory. It works fine. It works if they're on another connected drive, and I imagine that they will be seen on a USB, SD, or even CD. Just not on the boot drive.  

It's a work-around if you have this particular problem.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.