User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Instrument files (.INS) »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 3:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Questions and Discussion
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Instrument files (.INS)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Instrument files (.INS)  (Read 427 times)
PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

Instrument files (.INS)
« on: Nov 17th, 2019, 4:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,
Can anyone show a few lines of an Instrument file (".ins") that is formatted to pass not only patch number, but bank number as well. I see how to divide into multiple "sections" i.e.: [General MIDI], [My Stuff], ect., but bank:patch commands are not perfectly explained.

I've got MIDI-OX passing patch info to CoolSoftVirtualMIDISynth, which is using "Stgiga's HiDef Soundfont (2019-05-25).sf2" - a high-quality, packed-to-the-gills SoundFont.  (All of this is free and simply awesome!)  Has anyone created an ".INS" file for this 4GB SF2, or one that correctly passes Bank and Patch?  Vienna SFZ Editor will create a text (".TXT") file that has all the names and addresses in a very close format, but it needs more editing and knowledge than I have at the moment to finish formatting it a little and be able to easily see and use all those banks and patches. Playing with the Control Panel kind-of gets me there, but I have no idea what patch I'll get until I hear it, and it's tedious to find a patch.  I'd love to use the "Instrument Panel" with this SF2. There are an enormous number of voices.  
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2019, 5:14pm by PunchDrummer » IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: Instrument files (.INS)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2019, 7:28pm »

You  are talking about "ins" instrument name files for Cakewalk Sonar (or Reaper) ?

Go here  
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013272/Instrument-De finitions
look for "How do I Create or Modify an Instrument Definition?"

Note there is a confusing  formula both at Roland and at Cakewalk web sites.

Patch[Bank Number]=BankName
(  Ctrl 0 value x 128  ) Ctrl 32 value = Bank number
is really (  Ctrl 0 value x 128  ) + Ctrl 32 value = Bank number

If MSB (CC0) is 87 and LSB (CC32) is 64  (Fantom X Preset bank PR-A) then  
87 x 128 = 11136
Bank number is 11136 + 64 = 11200
So the entry is   Patch[11207]=ROM Preset A

Bank Name must be EXACTLY the same in bother the .Patch Names and the .Instrument Definitions
; -------------------------------------------------------------

.Patch Names

[FX Preset D]
0=HPF Sweep
1=Moon Synth
2=DelyResoSaws
3=R-Trance
4=Alfa Retro
5=Nu Hoover
6=Hoovercraft
127=LastFX

; ----------------------------------------------------------------------
; For Drum Maps  

.Note Names

; ----------------------------------------------------------------------

.Instrument Definitions

; Title  
[Some Synth Name]

Patch[11207]=FX Preset D

All the best
Royce
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2019, 7:57pm by Breath » IP Logged
PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17th, 2019, 8:39pm »

Thank you!
I'll spend some time trying to digest the info and proceed with editing.  Wish there was a tool to create an Instrument file (".ins") from a SoundFont file (".sf2").
IP Logged
PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17th, 2019, 10:04pm »

OK - I understand the divided two bytes and how the bank# is really a multiple of 128, and how to use that and the patch# in both the Control Panel and MIDI Status to change to the desired voice.  Quite frankly, with a list of bank, patch, and voice name, I think it almost might be easier to just enter the info manually in those two spots than to code the ".ins" file with over 1,000 voices.
Thank you for helping me understand this!  Smiley
IP Logged
Sonus

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2019, 1:50am »

PunchDrummer, there's a link in the mailbox with Stgiga .ins banks 0~9.

IP Logged
PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2019, 3:37am »

Absolutely awesome!! You must have put some work into that, and in return, I'll study it and learn to do it - maybe pass it on or refer to you if ever asked!

For such a relatively esoteric subject, this is the most solid help I've received online in a long time. Great job! Great spirit!  

UPDATE:  I've completed the Instrument file for "Stgiga's HiDef Soundfont (2019-05-25).sf2" following your template.
I don't see an option to upload, so if you think it may be helpful to others, please let me know how to get it to you.   Smiley

BTW: I've seen other posts from MOX users having the same problem I have in that the Instrument Panel doesn't "see" the ".ins" files if on Win7 "C:/" drive - regardless of security context. A solution to this problem is to copy the file(s) to another logical drive and reference them there. I have a "Recovery" partition on my Lenovo laptop boot drive ("F:/",) and if I place the files there, I can see and use them. I imagine that if they're on a USB, SD, or even CD, they will work as well for those with this particular issue that don't want to, or have room to, create another partition and drive letter.

Enjoying MOX and the other tools is so much easier and more fun now!!!  And with a little work, it happened virtually overnight!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2019, 5:53am by PunchDrummer » IP Logged
Sonus

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2019, 2:47pm »

You're welcome!

SF2 bank 128 is reserved for drum kits but this is out of range.
So I've assigned this bank to 16383 instead of 16384.
Just select instrument panel drum channel 10.

Does anyone have a better solution?

Complete .ins file in pm link...
IP Logged
PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19th, 2019, 7:18pm »

Thank you very much!!

I struggled with the drums, even including the voicing (Keys).  I got it to look nice in the display, but i really didn't understand the addressing above bank 127, and wasn't sure of what I was doing.

It's been a while since had an opportunity to play with edit and replace to re-format an almost-correct file - I had a little fun.

Thanks for taking it to fruition.

This is so much better with the Instrument Panel working!
Smiley
IP Logged
PunchDrummer

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 22nd, 2019, 4:17am »

I've had a lot of fun learning ".SF2" editing and creating the corresponding ".INS" files. I'm on to sampling my own sound and making it work in the environment I described.

The ultimate solutions to StGigas .SF2 in my described environment was to remove bank 124 (had only two presets that were probably redundant), and move everything down a bank in the SF2 editor, so the drums ended-up on bank 127.

Ultimately, all of these samples are fun to play with, but when I compare side-by-side with my SC55 and other Roland and Yamaha gear from the '80s, there's nothing like the original.

Thanks again for helping me get started on a fun journey that includes the instrument panel. I've been using MOX for years without it because of a freaky problem with the file system, but now that I've got a workaround and an education, I'm good to go.  20 years late, but good timing for me personally,    Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.