User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - system tray icon behavior change »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 27th, 2024, 2:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Wish List
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   system tray icon behavior change
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: system tray icon behavior change  (Read 6235 times)
trispectrum

MIDI-OX Rules!

system tray icon behavior change
« on: Aug 17th, 2003, 11:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have midi ox running all the time on my computer so the fact that it can be run minimized to the system tray is a great feature for me.  The problem is when I maximize the midi-ox window the icon disappears from the tray and midi-ox moves to the regular start menu bar.  Can this be changed so that the system tray icon is permanent and midi-ox never appears in the regular taskbar much like icq.
IP Logged
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

Re: system tray icon behavior change
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2003, 4:43pm »

Oooh, no - I hate applications that don't appear in the task bar!  If it's got a window, and it's not a subwindow of another application, it should have a task bar entry so I can right-click it and do stuff to it.

Given that there's no other function to the tray icon that (a) indicating the program's running when it's not on the task bar and (b) bringing the window back up, I don't really see what benefit you'd get from leaving the icon in the tray when the window's up.  (Okay, the traffic lights flash with MIDI data... but I auto-hide the task bar anyway Wink )
IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
EvanGR

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Sep 6th, 2003, 4:29pm »

I absolutely agree with Trispectrum's suggestion. It is possible for other software (that I've seen) to customize this behavior i.e. system tray only, system tray & taskbar or taskbar only. I suppose that would satisfy all tastes.
IP Logged
Dave_Windsor

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:01pm »

I agree too.
I'd also love to assign a different icon to each instance of midi-ox, since I run many.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2003, 3:01pm by Dave_Windsor » IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 11:31am »

We've added an option to always display MIDI-OX in the tray (Beta 7).  I have no idea how one could prevent display of a normal Windows application in the task bar when it's not minimized?  When it is minimized in the taskbar, we simply hide the main Window.  If it was not minimized, doing that would hide the entire application.

It is also now possible to assign custom icons for each instance.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27th, 2003, 5:36pm »

I suppose the "no taskbar" behaviour happens when you don't have a main window: i.e. you're pretending to be someone else's sub-window - where "someone else" is either a main window that's hidden, I guess, or something like the desktop/explorer.exe..?

Me, I like the normal behaviour, though I suppose I can see the point of always keeping the tray icon up, maybe...  (in fact, I'll probably be doing that).  I expect clicking the tray icon to toggle the main window visibility, of course - if its hidden/minimized to tray, click: it appears.  If its visible, click: it's gone!
<edit>
Oh well... no such luck Wink
</edit>
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2003, 5:38pm by Peter L Jones » IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28th, 2003, 12:42pm »

Peter, your last request seems reasonable, and I'll see if we can add that.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31st, 2003, 1:34pm »

Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.