User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Desktop Restore not restoring saved desktop »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   General
   Desktop Icon Save and Restore
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Desktop Restore not restoring saved desktop
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Desktop Restore not restoring saved desktop  (Read 1919 times)
PuterMan448

MIDI-OX Rules!

Desktop Restore not restoring saved desktop
« on: Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Something happened on my computer today and over 50% of the icons vanished. No problem I thought, just restore them. Nothing happened. I checked the registry and the 133 entries are there so I saved the keg to a .reg file uninstalled Desktop Restore and reinstalled the latest from the site. I then gave the dll exclusions in Kaspersky in case that was the problem and then saved my depleted screen layout. I deleted a couple of icons and then went to restore and nothing happened. I restored from the .reg file and nothing happened when using desktop restore > restore. I re-saved and deleted another item and again nothing happened when trying to restore the layout. It saves OK but just refuses to restore.
IP Logged
PuterMan448

MIDI-OX Rules!

Re: Desktop Restore not restoring saved desktop
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24th, 2018, 1:27pm »

I have now tried creating one of the missing entries in the .dtr file format and restoring from file. No joy. It will not do a custom restore from file either. I have given the program full permissions in my Av.
IP Logged
bmn

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2018, 5:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This restores the position of icons, but not missing icons.

If the icons appear to be missing but are just located on a turned off secondary monitor, they should be restored. But if the icons have been deleted or moved from the desktop they won't be restored, as this tool does not re-create missing icons.

You might have deleted or moved them elsewhere by accident. Some versions of Windows also do a kind of cleanup or maintenance that deletes desktop icons that haven't been used for a while.
IP Logged
PuterMan448

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24th, 2018, 6:14pm »

Thank you for that information. These were pretty much all active icons so I don't think Windows would/should have deleted them. Many I use every day. At least, since I still have the details in the registry, all I need to to is replace them anywhere and then use the tool to put them back where they should be.

Seems somewhat a limitation of the tool if the data is in the registry that it cannot recreate them.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.