User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI Yoke
   MIDI Yoke Installer Issues
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot  (Read 10277 times)
cptlockheed

MIDI-OX Rules!

Re: Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot
« Reply #20 on: Jul 6th, 2006, 2:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

No other fixes AFAIK. I created two small bat-files to add/remove midiyoke from registry and run them automatically as startup and shutdown scripts (gpedit.msc, user config, windows, scripts). No problems whatsoever in 3 weeks time, midiyoke is always there when I need it.  

Just for the record, my graphics adapter is an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AGP). A device/driver conflict is always a possibility with XP  Sad
IP Logged
nilblank

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #21 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 2:40pm »

on Jul 6th, 2006, 2:20am, cptlockheed wrote:
No other fixes AFAIK. I created two small bat-files to add/remove midiyoke from registry and run them automatically as startup and shutdown scripts (gpedit.msc, user config, windows, scripts). No problems whatsoever in 3 weeks time, midiyoke is always there when I need it.  
(

>cptlockheed>>
Do you think you could make your startup/shutdown script available to me. Never got the hang of scripting those mini-aps myself and would love to have the same functionality as you.

Thanks.

Incidently, my Acer Ferrari Lappy has the exact same graphics card as you indicated. So, maybe there's something there.
IP Logged
cptlockheed

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #22 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 2:26am »

nilblank,

create a .bat file MIDIYOKE ON.BAT with one line:  
  regedit /c "MIDIYOKE ON.REG"

Then create the MIDIYOKE ON.REG file with the following content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
  "MIDI3"="myokent.dll"

The part in brackets should be on one line. Be sure to check out from your registry the correct MIDI-number: my system here at work has two other midi devices, MidiYoke being the third.  
Then create another pair of files to disable midiyoke:
MIDIYOKE OFF.BAT contains the line  
  regedit /c "MIDIYOKE OFF.REG"

MIDIYOKE OFF.REG should be as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
  "MIDI3"="myokent.dlz"

The only change to the ON version is the name of drive file. It should be changed to something not existing on your system, I use myokent.dlz. The point is that when the midiyoke is switched off, the system won't load the midiyoke.dll at boot time and does not freeze.

Check out with regedit that running the on- and off-bat files switch the name of the driver in registry correctly: myokent.dll when running ON, myokent.dlz when running OFF. Remember to copy the actual driver file myokent.dll file from MidiYoke installer to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory if it isn't there already.

You can run the on/off bat files manually, but if you want to automate them, run program gpedit.msc (it is part of Windows XP) and select User Configuration, Windows Settings, Scripts. Make MIDIYOKE ON.BAT your logon script, and MIDIYOKE OFF.BAT your logoff script.

I hope this works for you. Be careful when playing with registry though! After getting the system to work correctly, you may want to add parameter /S to regedit in the bat files to suppress confirmation when writing to registry (the line should then read  regedit /s /c "midiyoke on.reg")
--  
/sami
IP Logged
nilblank

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #23 on: Nov 2nd, 2006, 5:07am »

cptlhd,

Thanks immensely.

I followed your instructions and now have a glitch free setup. Immedeately set off for my weekly and tore the roof off. You've made me happy and thereby another 400 floorshaking souls.

Thanks again,

Dylan
IP Logged
blur

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #24 on: Nov 20th, 2006, 8:04am »

Hello to all.

Same problem here. Didn't understand it the first time so I've re-installed XP Pro and problem again occurs. After driver installation the same black screen at boot as reported before.

I have an Athlon XP+ 1,7GHz, 1Gb DDR RAM and an ATI Radeon 9600. Installed Yoke driver 1.72 (the one with the self installer) on Windows XP Pro with all the Windows Updates to the moment.

Didn't tried yet the fix around explained above (the one involving the registry keys). I'll try it later, while there's no official fix.

I need Yoke driver to use it with Reason and a virtual keyboard. Does anyone know of an alternative for this driver?

By the way, does anyone know if this same problem occurs on Windows Vista?

Cheers
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #25 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 8:38pm »

You could try the Marblesound driver:
http://www.hurchalla.com/Maple_driver.html
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 10:55pm »

cptlockheed,

I would like to get to the bottom of this.  

1) Can you tell me what other MIDI(n) drivers are listed in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 ?

2) What MIDI(n) entries are listed in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Userinstallable.drivers ?  
(They should be the same as 2) above)

3) Search your registry from there: look for any other instance of MIDI3.  Is there one under currentcontrolset (Alias)?  If so, try renaming the Alias -- something other than MIDI3.

4) Do you have GigaSampler, GigaStudio or any other Giga products installed?

5) Did you use the Auto-installer (MIDIYokeSetup.msi) or "Add New Hardware" installer (OEM.INF)?

6) Could you search your system for other instances of myokent.dll (Outside of System32. If found, remove them)?

7) What happens if you turn on BootLogging during boot with MIDI Yoke installed?

IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

cptlockheed

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #27 on: Dec 5th, 2006, 4:17am »

Hi Jamie,  

1) My midi drivers in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 are:

midi=wdmaud.drv
midi1=mapledxp.dll
midi2=wdmaud.drv  
midi3=myokent.dll

When debugging the problem, I had only wdmaud.drv and myokent.dll.

2) the keys in  
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Userinstallable.drivers  are not exactly the same. There are only

midi1=wdmaud.drv
midi3=myokent.dll

(I have removed Maple drivers and my Soundblaster card from my machine, using only external NeOn sound card/keyboard controller)

3) Yes, there is Alias in CurrentControlSet.  
Alias=Midi3, Description=Midi Yoke NT Driver, Driver=myokent.dll

4) No Giga products on my machine

5) I have tried both autoinstaller and oem.inf installation. Boot lockups occurred in both

6) No other instances of myokent.dll on my machine (full search including hidden files etc)

7) I'll have to check this out later. Currently my system is stable and in quite critical use. I'll make a restore point and check booting with midiyoke (will check renaming the Alias too), but later. I have always succeeded booting to safe mode, but can't take the risk right now, sorry.

Being in computer business (although not programming for Windows), this problem baffles me as I'm sure it does you too Sad  

Cheers,
/sami
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 5th, 2006, 10:36pm »

That's all useful info, thanks.

You might want to change the UserInstallable drivers to match the other key, but I don't think it will make a huge difference.  Re: 3) I meant an alias other than MIDI Yoke.  Make sure there is no other driver aliased to MIDI3.

What new I have found from inspection is that it seems that USB driver installs (and software synth devices) typically do NOT set the MIDI(n) in the Drivers32 key and I was able to get Windows to hose another device under CurrentControlSet, using an alias by using Add New Hardware.  Apparently that installer (like MIDI Yoke) just examines the Drivers32 key when installing  a driver.

It occurs to me that maybe if you set the MIDI(n) that MIDI  Yoke is referenced by to a number that is not used by any other alias, it might work.  To find this, you have to search Current Control Set for every MIDI(n) alias (0 thru 9).  It doesn't actually use MIDI0 by names it MIDI instead so MIDI thru MIDI9.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

kmel

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #29 on: Jul 13th, 2007, 3:20am »

Hi,

after installing 1.74 by hand on WinXP+SP2, my Thinkpad boots to black. I renamed 'myokent.dll' to 'myokent.dll_' using a boot cd.

Is there a new fix without changing the registry or renaming the dll?

Perhaps a debug version of 'myokent.dll', which creates a log file.
I will spend time to investigate this misbehavior as MidiYoke is a fine program as Midi-Ox is.

Thanks,
Klaus

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.