User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Send Sysex Confusion »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Send Sysex Confusion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Send Sysex Confusion  (Read 420 times)
motorbikematt

MIDI-OX Rules!

Send Sysex Confusion
« on: Mar 12th, 2023, 11:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Greetings Earthlings,  

I might need some hand-holding or education here. First, some background:

I have a eurorack reverb module with digital pots, buttons, and an undocumented built-in USB MIDI controller on the back. All the pots and buttons send System Exclusive events that MIDI-OX can read just fine. For example, pressing a trigger button on the module produces the following message in the Monitor Input:

Code:
TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT                
 000C0041  Sta --     F0  Buffer:    11 Bytes   System Exclusive      
 SYSX: F0 00 01 55 15 02 10 53 00 00 F7
 000C0091  Sta --     F0  Buffer:    11 Bytes   System Exclusive      
 SYSX: F0 00 01 55 15 02 10 53 00 01 F7

This will also illuminate the device's 'SX' Input Port light in the MIDI Port Activity monitor. Lastly, I am able to also Receive Manual Dump of the same HEX codes in the SysEx View & Scratchpad tool. I believe I have everything configured properly, however, I am seeing a problem in the next step that I do not understand.

From the SysEx View & Scratchpad, when I right-click hit the Display Window and Send Sysex of the same HEX code that I just captured, the Monitor - Output displays appears to replay the proper info:

Code:
TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT                
 00387080  MOX Sta    F0  Buffer:    11 Bytes   System Exclusive      
 SYSX: F0 00 01 55 15 02 10 53 00 00 F7
 00387111  MOX Sta    F0  Buffer:    11 Bytes   System Exclusive      
 SYSX: F0 00 01 55 15 02 10 53 00 01 F7

But the SX Input Port light on the MIDI-OX Generated Event does NOT illuminate. Additionally, the eurorack module doesn't produce the expected behavior (pluck a string instrument)

My first question is rather simple: Is the SX Input Port light supposed to illuminate when sending Sysex?  

My desired outcome is to trigger behaviors on the module by sending Sysex messages, and in my mind, it starts by the module responding when I Send Sysex via the Scratchpad

(Side note: I have asked the manufacturer for the MIDI spec for the device and they are unable to provide since this is an undocumented feature that I have stumbled upon.)

Thoughts?

PS Here is a screencap of my settings/setup https://twitter.com/motorbikematt/status/1635113738096492545/photo/1
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2023, 11:14pm by motorbikematt » IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: Send Sysex Confusion
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14th, 2023, 11:34pm »

Hi
it looks like you have set it up correctly.
Did you click the SYX button (enable sysex transmission) in the lower toolbar to turn it off and then again to hi-light it and turn sysex enabled on?
When you set up a new connection in the Midi Routing window you need to refresh this sysex enable (looks like a bug, but it is an easy workaround - as long as you remember).

You should see the sysex being transmitted in Output Monitor window.

I rarely use the MIDI Port Activity window, but just checking now I couldn't get the SX (sysex) light to flash. Even through a loopMidi software cable.
So it look like you can't rely on that.

If you want to keep 'sniffing' you could always download Wireshark and look at the USB port for the module.

I'm not sure much of that was helpful, but feel free to post again to let me know how you got on.

All the best
Royce
IP Logged
motorbikematt

MIDI-OX Rules!

Re: Send Sysex Confusion
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2023, 1:16am »

Thanks Royce, I am only now seeing this reply!  

I will try your advice over the weekend and report back...you've described something I hadn't realized before so this is helpful.

Matt
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.