User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - sysex going out all ports instead of just one »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   sysex going out all ports instead of just one
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: sysex going out all ports instead of just one  (Read 618 times)
EricaAustin

MIDI-OX Rules!

sysex going out all ports instead of just one
« on: Jun 25th, 2023, 11:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I'm sort of noob with MidiOx, about a year but I've made little progress.  I've had an annoying problem for a while.  I have two old wavestations (EX/AD), and two old MTPAVs chained.  

Whenever I send sysex to one WS, I get it on the other because it blasts out every port on the MTPs.  This results in both machines receiving it instead of just the one I want.   I currently have nothing routed to or from the WSs in the MTP Clockworks app so I don't see how it could be a case of the messages being reflected from one to the other.

I have screen caps of the Midi devices and Port Activity dialogs here.  Sorry I can't figure out how to attach them.

https://imgur.com/2dNnNxB

So all I've done is select out port 8 in the Midi Devices dialog.  When I expand the midi output event channels drop down in the upper right I see every channel green.  But these are Midi channels right, not ports?   (Is there a way to stop that BTW, short of having to manually right click and delete every channel but one?)  

I've seen posts discussing dragging and dropping onto the Event port which I'm finding confusing since nothing seems dragable in the Devices dialog.  It's either selected or not selected.  

I have tried deselecting and reselecting the SYX box as suggested in other posts, but it changes nothing.  I do see all 16 port LEDs flash on my MTPs though when I do it.

What is odd is that the MidiOx Port Activity dialog seems to know it is only supposed to go out port 8 based on the text label, but it doesn't actually show any activity at all during the transfer.  The reason I know it's blasting out everywhere is that every output led flashes on the MTPs and of course I see the sysex messages getting inadvertently picked up by the 2nd Wavestation on port 4.

I've thus far been working around the problem by either turning off the 2nd machine or setting its input to disabled, but I'd prefer to figure out what, if anything I'm doing wrong here.  

Thanks!
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: sysex going out all ports instead of just one
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2023, 10:53pm »

Hi
Let me make sure you are doing what I think you should be doing for the Standard Midi-Ox way to send Sysex ...

So to get sysex data file to a port using Midiox ...
If the Routing window is not open then open View / Port Routings...
Connect the Midi-Ox Event Port (on the bottom Left of the Routing window) to the port you want to send the sysex to...  
  ... DIN Pix to DIN Pix
  Left click the Midi-Ox Event Port DIN socket pix- to the right of the name
  Then drag to your Midi interface Output (on the right side of the routing window) - This should draw a 'rubberband' line
  Hover and release over the DIN socket pix to the left of your port name.
The line should still be displayed and show you have made a connection.  

-> For Sysex transmission - do this any time you change a routing :    Click the SYX (bottom Right) Off then back On again

Next open View / SysEx...
On the new window that just opened click File /Send Sysex File  

Select the file to open AND send.  

The data will be sent out the Midi-Ox Event Port and go to the interface out port you connected to
The data blocks should be displayed in the Output Window  

The blocks are separated by a line showing sysex size as well as the first 3 letters of the Ports - MOX is the event port name

Post again if you have more questions.

All the best
Royce

IP Logged
EricaAustin

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2023, 11:34am »

Aha!!   Okay this works exactly as I’d expect now.  I was definitely not doing it this way.  I was selecting my ins and outs via the Midi Devices dialog.   It works, sort of, basically just as I described.  So long as one port is selected, it goes out all of them.   It also generated a lot of buffer overflow errors likely from the insane traffic.  So am I understanding correctly that the Midi Devices dialog should have more or less permanent selections of all valid in/out ports, and all temporary routings should be handled using the Port Routings dialog?  

I was able to sent a 140k file with zero errors for the first time  Hopefully this will allow me to start sending faster than 2/64Byte   Grin

Since there is only one Midi Event port on the Input side, am I correct that no explicit routing is required to go in the reverse direction from Input Port 8 -> USB?

One odd thing is in the Output window, under Port, it says 9, but the port it’s connected to is 8.  

https://imgur.com/a/9mthe3F

I verified it by routing to port 7 instead and now it says 8 in the Output window when I resend.    Does this strange indexing have to do with the MOTU driver?

Thanks for help!
Erica
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2023, 10:07pm »

Hi Erica
We think of things like port numbers or channel numbers starting at 1. For instance Channel is 1 to 16
Computers start labeling things from 0 so they use 0 to 15 (or in hexadecimal it is 00 to 0F) for the channel. Hex is very useful for Midi and computers in general.
So computer port 7 can be human port 8, so don't get worried about it because now you know you will be like all of us and just hitting your forehead and imitating Homer Simpson.

The area you were working in is rarely used I think (perhaps sadly)  and you can do most of it with the Port Routing window and the Options / Data Mapping area.
Jamie (OConnell) wrote this program, like all good software, being able to do the same thing different ways.
We all have different brains so if that way suits you then go for it otherwise I would do it the Routing window way.

Try useing the routing window and then go back to the Option /Devices and have a look.
The big thing there is that you can have a subset of your Midi ports open with a set of connections AND save it so you can swap setups in and out.

As far as sysex coming in, Midi-Ox can receive and save sysex from any port - Midi Interface or  USB.
When you go to the View / Sysex dialog and select Sysex / Receive Manual Dump for instance Midi-Ox will ask you to name the file to save and then listen to ALL input ports for the sysex.  

The Miid-Ox Event Port is also used to output Midi for the View /Control Panel... and MTC (Midi Time Code) Transport.. and Midi Sync which act as a Master Clock to lock all your gear's tempo.

Feel free to keep asking questions and I try to help.

All the best
Royce
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.