User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Sending input on ch1 to all 16 channels? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Sending input on ch1 to all 16 channels?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sending input on ch1 to all 16 channels?  (Read 623 times)
Wlodzislaw

MIDI-OX Rules!

Sending input on ch1 to all 16 channels?
« on: Mar 25th, 2023, 12:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My synth (Ketron SD 1000) can play all 16 voices, but my EWI (Sylpho) sends output to a single channel only. Midi-OX allows me to select all banks and patches, but I can use only single one.  
Is there a simple way to use MID-OX to send output to many channels?
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: Sending input on ch1 to all 16 channels?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2023, 9:19pm »

Hi
Yes there is a way to either change the channel or even have many channels playing the same thing.

I'll assume your EWI is on channel 1 and you want to add a copy but on channel 4.

With a breath controller (I normally use a WX5, but I have a collection that includes EWI4000) you will need to change all the other MIDI messages (like breath CC) from channel 1 as well.
Fortunately there is a way to change (or add) different channels for all messages with the Options / Data Mapping.. in the menu.  

Click this menu option and MidiOx will open a new dialog window.
If the center list is not empty press the CLEAR button.
Press INSERT to bring up the line edit dialog.

Filter / Map Line  
"When Input matches:" line should be
Channel : 1 Event Type: "Any" and leave the rest as -1  (-1 means any value)  

"Set Output to:"
Channel : 4 Event Type: "Any" and leave the rest as -1  

You could click on OK and this would 'change ' the channel from 1 to 4, but if you wanted both channel 1 AND 4 you would check "Pass original value on (Clone)" and now you have two Midi messages for every Midi message on channel 1 coming in.

Press OK to get back to the previous dialog and you will see there is '*' and ticks in a line that represents your new Filter line.
Press the Save button to save the Data Filter you have just created as "EWI_ch1_and_ch4.oxm"
Check "Turn Map On" and then press OK.

On the Port Routing window (View / Port Routings...) you join the Midi input on left from your EWI to an output on the right that goes to the Midi In of your Kentron.

If you play the EWI you should see data coming in on the Monitor - Input window and twice as much data in the Monitor - Output window

There is lots more you can do with this. Here are some ideas...
 - You could stack a number of filter lines in one filter to play multiple channels ( you could even play all 16 channels for the big unisons - one message in becomes 16 messages out)
 - you can swap filter files on the fly by using Patch Change (PC) messages from your EWI (Options / Patch Map...) in MidiOx

For example, if you had saved many Filter files that just changed channel 1 to a different channel, (you could have a lot of filters files changing channel 1 to 3 or 5 or 9 etc ) and then use a PC message from the EWI to tell MidiOx to swap the files. That is, a patch change would swap the EWI's channel as far as the Kentron would know.

- copy all those filter files but this time edit them an add the Clone option as well. You could now double the different instruments on the different channels.  

Lots of fun here.
Let me know if you need some help to set something up.

All the best
Royce

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2023, 9:20pm by Breath » IP Logged
Wlodzislaw

MIDI-OX Rules!

Re: Sending input on ch1 to all 16 channels?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26th, 2023, 2:55am »

Wonderful, works like charm. Big thank you!
Wlodek
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.