User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - trouble changing velocity on old keyboard »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   trouble changing velocity on old keyboard
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: trouble changing velocity on old keyboard  (Read 1157 times)
lrk102

MIDI-OX Rules!

trouble changing velocity on old keyboard
« on: Feb 7th, 2023, 10:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have an old Casio (not velocity sensitive) that I use through my Focusrite scarlett 4i4 (on the round midi connections).  
When I play through ableton, reaper, or soundtrap , the volume only comes through about half compared to using the onscreen midi keyboard.  (when using instruments that support velocity)

Midi-OX monitor (set to decimal) shows "40" under date2 for velocity. Using the data mapper, i set  

For
Input  ch1 NoteOn  , -1 to -1 (any note to any note), -1 to -1 (any velocity to any velocity)  

Output ch1 NoteOn  -1 to -1,  127 to 127  (or 120 to 120, 100 to 100, ive tried a few numbers here) .  

When I activate it, the monitor successfully shows 127 instead of 40.  The problem is, there is no difference in volume in whatever DAW Im using, the virtual midi keyboard is still way louder.  
Anyone have any ideas for me to get this working?  

Using ableton I can use the Velocity plugin to do the same thing, and it works, but I would rather use midi ox and have it work for everything.  
IP Logged
lrk102

MIDI-OX Rules!

Re: trouble changing velocity on old keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2023, 11:18pm »

Edit: I mean it shows 64 under velocity when set to decimal. (40 is hex)  

Strangely after shutting everything down and trying again,  it is not changing even the displayed velocity at all now.  64 no matter what i do.  

I did find a (paid but free demo) windows utility that lets me max the curve and it works (audibly as well), but I am sure midi-ox will do the same thing if I could just figure it out.. feel like im missing something simple here.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2023, 11:18pm by lrk102 » IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2023, 6:34pm »

SO to get this to work you need to change the velocity in MidiOx (which it looks like you have already done) and then send that Midi out data to  loopMidi (or MidiBE  or MidiYoke etc).
To do this use View / Port Routings... the Midi Routing page to connect the Casio In on the left to the loopMidi on the right. (drag the DIN socket picture on the left to the one on the right to make the connection - a line is drawn between them)  

In Abelton you no longer use the Casio Midi  input port in the Midi in Preferences page.
Instead use the loopMidi port you have connected and are sending the modified Midi data out of MidiOx.

Casio In -> MidiOx .. change the velocity.. -> loopMidi1 out - > Live Midi Input port

Hope that helps. If not post again with details of how you have connected it all up.

All the best
Royce
IP Logged
lrk102

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2023, 10:26pm »

Thank you for the reply!  
Havent gotten it going quite yet but getting closer--  
before I get into posting screenshots i'll try to explain

Before installing loopmidi I checked the Port routing page and I had simply "Focusrite USB MIDI: (ie what casio is plugged in to)  on input side, nothing on output side.  I installed loopmidi and added new device with the + button - that's all.  
In midiOX , loopmidi not visibile yet in Port Routing, I had to go to View-Midi Devices and add the loopmidi port to the Port Mapping devices on the right.  I turned on my keyboard and pressed a key and the monitor screen filled up with activity (I should have looked closer if it was the same note being played over and over- but i did notice it was at 120 like I wanted), then i got a "feedback detected" warning.  

I had to go back into loopmidi and unmute the loopmidi device.  

When I checked the port routing page, Focusrite USB MIDI, loopmidi (on the input side), and MidiOX event port all had lines running to the loopmidi output on the right.  I disconnected these and just connected Focusrite (on left) -> loopmidi (on right) .
When I press keys now it is back to 64 on data2 but no feedback or repeated actions.  
In ableton if I set input to "loopmidi" I cannot hear anything, if I set it back to focusrite it is back to normal but still at half volume/velocity.  

I am not certain that I am sending the modified data to loopmidi out properly. ..    
Sorry I'm sure this is hard to follow I may try to come back with screenshots so I can explain it better.  
IP Logged
lrk102

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 9th, 2023, 9:56pm »

I tried again tonight and it is working!  
I just have the single line drawn from left to loopmidi on right.  
Velocity is good and controllable with the Data Mapping but the problem I am having now is I am getting a double note press, I assume because I have the mapping going from channel 1 NoteOn to channel 1 NoteOn (with the the velocity change), so I am hearing both now?  I suppose I could output to channel 2 and then have ableton just listen to midi channel 2 so I am not hearing double?  

I use a few things like soundtrap without this functionality (picking what midi channel)  I wonder how I could make channel 1 just have the single note press.
IP Logged
lrk102

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 9th, 2023, 10:00pm »

actually i think what is happening is I am hearing the note play again when i release the keyboard piano key
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2023, 11:00pm »

Hi  
what is happening could be because there are two versions of Note Off.
90 40 64  Note on Midi channel 1 -  C3 note on and velocity 100
90 40  0  Note on Midi channel 1 -  C3 note on and velocity 0, but 0 velocity also means turn the note off
80 40 64  Note off Midi channel 1 -  C3 note off message and release velocity 100

If you use min of -1 in the data map for the note input and map it to, say, velocity 64 then a Note On with 0 (this is what comes out of most of the Yamaha keyboards when you release the key for example) then you would get a repeated note and the first one is not turned off.

Make the Min = 1  and the Note on with velocity 0 will pass through unaltered.

Another possibility is that you have checked 'Pass original value on (Clone)'  in the data map dialog.  
This create another Note with the same values and so a repeated note can sound. You should turn it off.

('Pass original value on (Clone)' is often used to create multiple messages from a single input message. )

All the best
Royce
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2023, 11:04pm by Breath » IP Logged
lrk102

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2023, 11:18pm »

Changing the min to 1 worked, thank you!  
Wow would not have figured that out on my own.

I didn't have pass value on set but wondered what that was for.
IP Logged
natanielsmith

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14th, 2023, 5:40am »

I was so glad to get an uncommonly high-quality accounts answer finder that was not difficult to follow and comprehend. My experience certifies that experts from the organization recognize the flighty college life that could baffle your endeavors to accomplish your academic objectives.
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2023, 8:39am by natanielsmith » IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14th, 2023, 5:30pm »

I can try.
You might like to start a new Topic or stick with this one if what you want to do is something similar.

Try to give a much detail about what you are trying to do and perhaps your experience with MidiOx and Midi generally.

All the best
Royce
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.