User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Qwerty Keyboard mapping »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Qwerty Keyboard mapping
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Qwerty Keyboard mapping  (Read 151 times)
dave

MIDI-OX Rules!

Qwerty Keyboard mapping
« on: Mar 6th, 2024, 7:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Complete beginner.
I have a software package that has a couple of Midi CC commands, I need to convert QWERTY Keyboard inputs to Midi commands to control those actions in the software. I looked at a Bome Box but hope there is a simpler software solution to my problem. There are only 2 or 3 commands I need to send via USB to the software. Any ideas? TIA
IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: Qwerty Keyboard mapping
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2024, 8:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi

The QWERTY keyboard can be made to output Note On and Note Off messages from the MIDI-OX Event port (see Midi Port Routing window)
Use the pic of a keyboard in the toolbar below the menu to turn it on .  
When on it has red leds in the pic.
You can also use the menu Actions / Keyboard to turn it on/off.

Tap some of the QWERTY keys and look at the Input Monitor window in MidiOx to see what keys produce what NoteOn and NoteOff values.
Work out what keys you want to use (write them down?)

(Make sure teh QWERTY to Midi is OFF for the next part)

Note on or Note off won't help you, so you need to change it to CC
Go to Options / Datamap and create a Datamap with the input of Note on and the output of CCs

Input
Any channel : Event NoteOn : all the rest -1 (as I don't know exactly what values you want to use
Output
Match Input : Event Ctrl :all the rest -1 (for as above)

Press OK then Save the Datamap as NoteOnToCC.oxm.
Press OK to leave

Make sure you have the View / Port Routings... window open
Connect the Midi-Ox EVENT PORT on the bottom left to a Software Midi Patch cable like MidiYoke or loopMidi on the right.
(Both are free and have to be installed in your PC)

The connection line you just created in the Port Routing window has a box in the middle of it.
Click on it and then use the drop down list to select NoteOnToCC.oxm.
Doing that will get the Datamap to listen to the output of the Midi-Ox Event port and change the Note on to CC and send it to the loopMidi port on the right

Turn ON the QWERTY to Midi function in MidiOx
Tap some of the QWERTY keys and look at the OUTPUT Monitor window in MidiOx to see what keys produce what CC type and values.

Connect your Software package's Midi Input to the loopMidi port you connected in MidiOx.
Pressing QWERTY keys will send the CC messages your software needs when you adjust the Datamap to the values you need and filter out the ones you don't.

If you need help with this I will need some details, but you can probably sort that out yourself.
Otherwise post again

All the best
Royce

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2024, 8:12pm by Breath » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.