User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - change midi channel with one button »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 27th, 2024, 2:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Wish List
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   change midi channel with one button
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: change midi channel with one button  (Read 7574 times)
benhoff

Thanks for Midiox Midiyoke

Email

change midi channel with one button
« on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 4:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Newbie here. Sorry if this is already a feature. I love midiox and think it probably saves thousands of hours for people.

I'd like to be able to program a key that changes the channel of the midi output from an Edirol PCR-M30. It would be very cool to be able to change the instrument for sounds created with soft synths. I'm thinking that each instrument could be on a different channel and assigned a different channel to receive.

Edirol said they thought it was a good idea to be able to program a button to change the midi output but that it isn't implemented and I'm pretty sure not in the newest keyboards they have out.

Thank you for midiox and midiyoke. Sometimes thinking about midiox is what gets me out of bed in the mornng, even though that sounds weird.
IP Logged

Hi. Midiox is awesome
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

Re: change midi channel with one button
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:01am »

The way I do this is with Patch Maps.  When I hit Program Change #1, the patch map loads up a data map that sets the MIDI Channel on all messages to 1.  When I hit PC#2, messages get Ch 2, etc.  My Evolution MK-249 has Program Change buttons and I can also send PCs from my FCB-1010, so this works well for me.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:02am by Peter L Jones » IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
benhoff

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23rd, 2007, 2:14pm »

It works. There should be some exclamation points but I restraining myself.
 Cheesy
IP Logged

Hi. Midiox is awesome
benhoff

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 24th, 2007, 1:29am »

Thanks again for the help on my other post. Can you tell me a way to program midiox/yoke so the keyboard I have, which doesn't seem to have a channel change ... to be able to use ... say the extreme high keys to trigger a program change which could set up a different map?

Someone, I think / not sure, said that the key stroke would have to be mapped to a program change and then routed back into midiox to be the stimulus for a map load.  

I'm not sure how to send an event , if that's what it's called back to midox from midiox

It's ok if this doesn't make sense. I'm struggling.   Tongue
IP Logged

Hi. Midiox is awesome
Peter L Jones
Expert

Hit it

« Reply #4 on: May 24th, 2007, 2:06pm »

You need need to use a MIDI Yoke junction.  Write the program change event out down one end and have read it when it comes back in.  I don't think anyone's reported success with this yet.  The "two copies of MIDI OX" trick seems to garner more success reports.  However, until someone tells me the loopback doesn't work, I'll keep suggesting it!  Tongue

MIDI OX (key>pgmChg)->MIDI Yoke Out:1
MIDI Yoke In:1->MIDI OX (patch map)

Make sure that's the only stuff going around the chosen loopback junction -- use a separate junction for anything else you're doing with MIDI Yoke.
IP Logged

"...Playing fast around the drums is one thing. But to play with people for others, to listen to, that's something else. That's a whole other world." -- Tony Williams
benhoff

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 26th, 2007, 4:59am »

It's not apparent to me how a midiox midi out event can be directed to a specific midiyoke port (or whatever it's called). I mean there seems to be no way to select what port an event is sent to....  

however, the idea of using two instances of midiox works great.
 Smiley
IP Logged

Hi. Midiox is awesome
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.