User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI Yoke
   MIDI Yoke Installer Issues
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot  (Read 10276 times)
motorman

MIDI-OX Rules!

Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot
« on: Aug 28th, 2005, 5:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there. I'm really wanting to try this software out - it looks like just what I needed. Wink But I installed it on my computer, restarted and... the windows XP splash screen came up fine and then the screen goes blank with nothing on it but my mouse pointer. Huh No keys will respond. I can move the mouse pointer around but that's it. Nothing else responds.  

After panicing for several hours... Shocked trying safe mode - which did exactly the same thing, I figured out how to start System Restore via the command prompt to get my computer working again. SO Thankfully I found that.  

I tried installing it again... same problem. So its definantly the software. Any ideas what could be causing this?  

i can list my computer specs if you want.
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: Installed Midiyoke and computer won't boot
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 2:12am »

Please do.  I haven't heard of that one before.    Sad   You are the administrator on the machine - right?  No error messages during install?  How many other MIDI devices on the machine?

I just uploaded a manual installer for MIDI Yoke.  Maybe you'll have better luck with that. http://www.midiox.com/myoke.htm

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2005, 2:57am by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

motorman

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 3:34am »

hi there, yes I am the Administrator. No problems were encountered during the installation - everything went smoothly. Computer specs are as follows:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ (64-bit - this is my best guess why its not working... but the computer is still running in 32bit mode... so not sure...)
Chipset: n-force3
RAM: 433mhz 1024MB
HDD: 7200rpm SATA (not raid) 200GB
Soundcard: In built + Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platnum ZX (the one with the front break out box)
of course other stuff like dvd writer, card reader etc...  

Operating system is: Windows XP Pro SP2

As far as midi devices go - Theres the standard sound card midi plus the two IO plugs on the audigy (front and back) and then one from the inbuilt sound card. Nothing unusual.

Haven't had a chance to try the manual installer yet (not in the mood for recking my computer right now Tongue already done that four times in a row), but I tried the older version which had a manual install - once again the installation was smooth with no problems, but the same error was encountered. But I will try the new version.

If you have any further questions (I'm sure i've forgotten something major under specs..), I'll be glad to answer....

IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 10:19am »

The old manual install (Add New Hardware) is the same as the new manual install.  If your machine won't boot after installing MIDI Yoke, you likely have some other driver conflict, although I'm not sure why: MIDI Yoke does nothing while the machine is booted, and requires no hardware resources.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

emielu

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 6:24am »

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I also have a AMD Athlon, a bit older though (1Ghz, 32 bit), onboard sound + SB Live Platinum, WINXP home edition, SP2. (I'm not on my own computer right now, so i don't have the complete specs available).  
I also see the win spash screen and then the blank screen with just cursor when booting. I also tried the auto and manual install.  
So if someone finds a solution, let me know!
IP Logged
emielu

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:35am »

Jamie, I hope this info helps:

It seems to be a windows problem; I removed Midi Yoke and installed Marblesound's Maple virtual MIDI driver (4 ports), and this caused exactly the same problem.  
Installing the LoopBe1 driver, with just 1 port, causes no problems. However, I need at least two ports Sad
So it seems that windows can't handle that many extra ports.  
BTW, even safe mode doesn't work in my case. Luckily windows will eventually start if i keep selecting "last good known config" from the boot menu. This can take quite a nr of reboots though, so it's pretty annoying.
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 9:57am »

Windows supports up to 10 drivers.  You can have more than 10 ports because drivers like MIDI Yoke can house multiple ports.  See this link for more info and how to check for this problem and fix it:
http://www.rme-audio.de/english/faq/10entrye.htm
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

motorman

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 4:19am »

Hi there,

I didn't try what the article said, but looking in my registry, there are only 3 midi entries (midi, midi1, midi2) so the list is not full. I don't think this is the cause of my problem... Undecided

emielu: safe mode also wouldn't work for me, and neither would "boot with last known settings that worked" (not that I tried it more than twice). Command Prompt Safe mode did work however...
IP Logged
emielu

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #8 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 6:21am »

Hi again,

I found that the problem still existed after I removed all virtual midi drivers from my system; my computer still would not boot. So I did a system restore which fixed the problem, then I installed the marblesound driver again, and now it is working correctly. I haven't used it yet, but it is installed and my pc boots again!  
So motorman you might try it as well: http://www.linuxsampler.org/ethernetmidi/MapleVMCv352.zip
IP Logged
petermidi

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 4:35pm »

Hi there,
I just thought I'd add a bit to this.
I have installed midi-yoke on three occasions and each one has ultimately ended (unfortunately) with the same problem as has been described here - boot to black!
On two of the three occasions, the boot to black has occurred immediately after the automatic install of Windows updates (two different updates).
I have known this (instinctively) and by checking in system restore on recovering the system.
Once the updates are in, midi-yoke reinstalls quite happily.
(I'm not sure what triggered the other boot-to-black as I was never able to get the pc up and running again.)
Does this suggest a potential cause/fix for the problem?
It would be great to know I can use midi yoke on my system without running the risk of the dreaded boot to black!
Thanks so much for a great product anyway - it is really appreciated!
P
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 5:35pm »

I'm not sure I understand this?

Quote:
On two of the three occasions, the boot to black has occurred immediately after the automatic install of Windows updates (two different updates).  

Are you saying after Windows Update you restarted the computer and got a Black Screen? Why would this have anything to do with MIDI Yoke?
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

petermidi

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20th, 2006, 8:55pm »

Hi Jamie - I know it sounds bizarre - but that is what I'm saying.
The first time my computer did the boot to black crash was about a week after I first installed midi-yoke. And I never made any connection between Yoke and the crash. After this crash I did a complete reinstall of Windows and my music apps.

The second time my computer did the same thing - it was a good three weeks after yoke had been installed - and I know that Yoke was the last thing that installed because I was very careful to install my cubase, then libraries, then utilities like midiman drivers and finally midi yoke - and then I had a windows update ... and I got the boot to black....and I blamed the Windows update.

But this third time I have worked without Midi Yoke for a couple of months (and in the meantime all Win updates including the one that killed it (I thought) last time have been fine. Then, in desperation to get a particular library to run in stand-alone mode rather than as a vst, I installed yoke again.
I had one day of stable use...during which I had a win update come through...which I set to install on shut  down.

And hey presto - boot to black.

So I am saying that I believe there to be a link between the two. It's in no way meant as a criticism of Yoke - I think what you've done is fantastic. But I'm just wondering if perhaps, knowing as much about computers as you do, you can think of something that windows might do when it updates, that could upset the yoke driver...

...and if you can...then perhaps we could warn people to look out for this...or maybe even find a way to stop it happening?

Thanks a lot Jamie!

Al the best.
Peter
IP Logged
michael

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 3:55am »

same thing here

i install midiyoke and i get a black boot

now i cant get my laptop to start again!!!!!

how the hell do i get my laptop startedHuh??

when given the option to restore known working boot i still get the black boot

im not happy!!!

Angry Angry Angry
IP Logged
SeanF

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #13 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 7:28pm »

Hi,

I have the same problem.  I installed Midi Yoke -
and it works perfect, but when I reboot, it simply boots to black. So I have to reboot in safe mode and uninstall it, after which it boots up fine.

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 6000.
IP Logged
IvanG

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #14 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 6:37pm »

Hi,

i have experienced the same thing. It was bugging me for months. Computer boots eventually, but I have to reset it a few times first.  
Also, if you wait long enough (1 hour or so) it will change screen to "loading user preferences", but still it won't boot.

I had to reinstall computer to get rid of this bug, didn't know what was the problem. I reinstalled MidiYoke recently, and then I found out...
Disabling the midiyoke service doesn't work either.

My computer is Compaq laptop Evo n1020v with Soundmax integrated audio card.

Since I don't have the restore point, i would be very very grateful if someone could provide the solution.

Thanks,

Ivan

PS. Great program though, beside the bug...
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2006, 6:40pm by IvanG » IP Logged
djass

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #15 on: May 23rd, 2006, 12:28pm »

and same problem here  Cry  
Installation went fine but after reboot the problem started. I needed to boot safe mode with command prompt and had to rename myokent.dll to get computer boot normally.
I really need this driver to get BCD-2000 and Traktor working together so I'm going to test Marblesound's Maple virtual MIDI driver now...
Let's see what happens...

djass
Dell Latitude D600
RAM: 1024MB
IP Logged
cptlockheed

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #16 on: Jun 9th, 2006, 1:55am »

Same problem here. Searching the bootlogs etc. I got the feeling the problem might have something to do with wdmaud.drv and XP's SP2... My system is Intel P4 Windows XP Pro SP 2 with three (!) soundcards:  Soundblaster live (PCI, to get sysex to Roland MT32), ESI Neon (USB, controller, mangles sysex Angry), Realtek AC97 (integrated, to connect to HiFi via optical cable). There are only 3 midi devices in registry, so it's not a case of "10 devices". Midi Yoke has been in and out from my system over ten times, so it definitely is a confirmed problem (fortunately uninstall in Safe Mode works in my case). Too bad, since Midi Yoke is one great piece of software!

PS. forgot to mention that in Control Panel Midi Yoke does not appear under "Legacy Audio Drivers" as stated in documentation but directly under "Sound, video and game controllers". Don't know if this has any meaning. Could there be a way to do a manual installation for the problematic machines, ie. without the .inf file... directly fixing the registry and dropping the dll in place?
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2006, 2:08am by cptlockheed » IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 2:36pm »

Quote:
Could there be a way to do a manual installation for the problematic machines, ie. without the .inf file... directly fixing the registry and dropping the dll in place?

That is precisely what the auto installer (MidiYokeSetup.msi) does:  

Supports Windows NT4, 2000, XP:  
MIDI Yoke NT 1.72 (143K 08-09-05) Download Now
[to Install, double-click the downloaded MidiYokeSetup.msi file.  Ignore the other installation instructions on this web-site]  

MIDI Yoke NT 1.72 (44K 08-30-05) Download Now Manual Install
To Install, double-click the downloaded Myokent.exe file.  It will extract several files to a folder named \MYINST and then launch a document explaining how to install using Add New Hardware

IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

cptlockheed

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #18 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:44am »

After some testing I found out that the computer boots if it does not try to load midiyoke, by breaking the associated registry key in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\windows nt\current version\drivers32, but MidiYoke works immediately when its key is correctly entered in the registry! I cannot really understand what causes the hanging in the boot process (maybe a changed security feature in SP2, has happened with other software). Anyway, as long as you don't boot with myokent.dll in registry, everything seems to work fine (so in effect you just need to install and de-install MidiYoke for each session - no big deal, I'm happy now!).  
--  
/sami
IP Logged
Simon56

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #19 on: Jul 5th, 2006, 12:02pm »

Yes I got the same boot to black as well after installing Midi Yoke from the self installing 'exe file onto Windows XP with Service Pack 2.  Windows Safe with command prompt was the only mode I could get into system restore from.

Has a fix for this emerged yet? - apart from the one involving insertion deletion of registry keys?  Does it have anything to do with the display driver?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.