User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Mapping a foot pedal down 2 or 3 octaves »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 21st, 2024, 6:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI-OX
   Mapping Questions
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Mapping a foot pedal down 2 or 3 octaves
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mapping a foot pedal down 2 or 3 octaves  (Read 733 times)
midtonez

MIDI-OX Rules!

Mapping a foot pedal down 2 or 3 octaves
« on: Jan 29th, 2023, 7:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys,
I have a foot pedal board I yanked from an old organ and put a midi board in. Works but it's lowest note is C4. On my PC I can use the VST software to transpose down 2 octaves but I need to use this pedalboard with my Roland clone wheel organ (with a laptop and midiox in between them) since it doesn't have an option to octave the pedal input up or down. I found the map for 1 octave down and tried editing that down another octave which got the lowest pedal to C2 but some notes are repeated and don't follow a half step up each note meaning that the top pedal which should play C1 is playing F#2.  

My current settings for the Transition Map are Input-note on-min 12-max 127  | Output-min 12-max 70.  
I'm thinking I have to map each key in the octave but not sure what to use to edit the file. Much appreciate a point in the right direction.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2023, 9:54pm by midtonez » IP Logged
Breath
Administrator

Re: Mapping a foot pedal down 2 or 3 octaves
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2023, 1:39am »

Hi
sounds like problems with the Midi board you are using.
What is it?

DataMap to transpose from C4 to C2

If your Midi board has the Note Off message as  Note On with velocity equal to 0 (90 Note Velocity =0 ) like on a Yamaha keyboard
In
NoteOn Key Min 24 max 127 velocity Min -1 Max -1
Out   (subtract 24 semitones)
NoteOn Key Min 0 max 103 velocity Min -1 Max -1

and that's all you need.

If your Midi board has its Note Off message as  Midi Note Off with velocity from 1 to 127 (80 Note Velocity = 1 to 127 ) like on a Roland keyboard
Line 1
In
NoteOn Key Min 24 max 127 velocity Min -1 Max -1
NoteOn Key Min 0 max 103 velocity Min -1 Max -1

Line 2
In
NoteOff Key Min 24 max 127 velocity Min -1 Max -1
NoteOff Key Min 0 max 103 velocity Min -1 Max -1

The way the Data Map values work is if they are not one to one they scale.  
** Midi Note on has 128 values '0' to '127'

So going from a range of 12 to 127 (116 different values ... 127 - 12 = 115 but don't forget you are also using 12 )  
  to 12 to 70 (59 values  70 - 12 + 1 = 59 ) compresses the scale.  
That is, starting with a possible 116 values I would have to use values of .... 23 23.5 24 24.5 25 25.5 etc which you can't do in Midi so you repeat some of the values instead ... 23 23 24 24 25 25 etc

This is handy.
You can use the ranges to expand or contract the scale on the keyboard.
You could also open up the limited velocity that some of the early synths had like the DX7.
Velocity of 0 to 90 to the full range 0 to 127.  
In that case you have 91 input values but you stretch it over 0 to 127 so MidiOx will skip some of values in the output to get to 127.

In a direct translation, like you are trying to do, make the ranges so there one to one relationship from Input to Output.  
24 to 127 has 104 values so you need 104 values to replace each one, so you set the output range to 0 to 103

Hope that helps

All the best
Royce

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2023, 1:42am by Breath » IP Logged
midtonez

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2023, 1:06pm »

Hi Royce,
Thanks for all the info! It is definitely helpful. The board is from Highlyliquid and unfortunately not supported or made anymore. I wondered if the issue was with the board but the thing is, if I use the 1 octave down map it obeys perfectly so I figured I needed to edit the map and save as a new map, but I'm not sure what to use for an editor. Notepad didn't show much. I read through and I think you've shown me what I need will look over more closely all you have posted tonight when I get home. I appreciate it!
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2023, 1:11pm by midtonez » IP Logged
midtonez

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2023, 8:56pm »

Hi again Royce,
well I've only used the PC keyboard tonight to experiment and that also didn't match the scale with my settings. so I did as you said and it worked. Also as a test for 3 octaves down, I put the input value 1 min at 36 and max at 127 and output min 0 max 91 and it seems to follow the scale now. Thanks a million. Can't wait to try the foot pedals with these settings on the clonewheel organ but I believe this will work now.   Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.