User Forum    :: Powered by YaBB
  « MIDI-OX User Forum - Has Midi Yoke Killed Gigastudio? »
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 27th, 2024, 4:08am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register

MIDI-OX User Forum
   MIDI Yoke
   MIDI Yoke Bug Reports
(Moderator: Jamie OConnell)
   Has Midi Yoke Killed Gigastudio?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has Midi Yoke Killed Gigastudio?  (Read 6699 times)
Chadwick

MIDI-OX Rules!

Has Midi Yoke Killed Gigastudio?
« on: Jul 28th, 2003, 8:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys,  

This evening I attempted to install a demo of VSL.
In doing so I began an install of a version of midi yoke provided with the VSL demo cube. Halfway through the install I was informed that the installer couldn't find a directory to install to. Not wanting to screw things up, I exited the install and went to the midi yoke site, where I read about an auto installer for XP, which I downloaded.

I had read that installing a new midi yoke over an old one was a problem, so I checked the drivers pages in control panel, and as there was no report of a midi yoke driver in either legacy or a midi yoke entry, I continued the new install.

The auto installer turned out to be the same type of installer as the zip file which came with the VSL demo cube, so I just pointed it to a newly named directory, continued and it finished.

I restarted the PC, and started Gigastudio - and my PC came to a grinding halt. I waited an extremely long time for Giga to start up, and when it did, the PC was acting as though I had almost no system resources available. In fact, when I checked Task Manager, the Giga executable was hovering at around 97%! No wonder the machine (a P4 2.4 with 512mb ram) was acting like it was in a coma - and I didn't have a single sound loaded.

At this point I hadn't even assigned midi yoke to a giga midi port. I tried to, but it made no difference.

My problem is that disabling Midi Yoke makes no difference to Gigastudio's performance, and the 'deinstallation' process referred to for the win 2000 version shows a hardware add/remove page - when XP has only a hardware add/troubleshoot page.

Any clues on completely removing midi yoke from my system?

I'd love to get back to the normal 100% performance I had this afternoon before I got adventurous. I just wish I'd remembered to set a recovery point  Embarassed

Sorry to come on and whinge about a piece of software which is virtually free and solves so many people's problems.

Cheers
Rick
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

Re: Has Midi Yoke Killed Gigastudio?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 1:11am »

There is a known incompatibility between GigaStudio and MIDI Yoke.  There are other posts about this on the board, and I'm afraid there is nothing that WE can do about it.

The auto-installer is a bad idea unless you're running Windows NT 4.0.  Nevertheless, it should be possible to de-install it.

If you really used the Auto-installer, you'll find the driver in Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices [Hardware] Legacy Audio Devices.  Look under Properties TAB, expand MIDI Devices and Instruments, highlight MIDI Yoke and choose [REMOVE].  Then, after rebooting, navigate to your system32 folder and delete MYOKENT.DLL.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Chadwick

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31st, 2003, 2:02am »

Thanks Jamie.

I've removed MY from my setup, but it's a shame to be without it - mainly because the VSl library's performance tools seem to require it.

Is there any trick to installing it which could mimimise the chance of running into the compatability problems? I've run maple tools ok. Maybe it was just a funky install?
IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2003, 12:52pm »

See this thread for some suggestions:
http://www.midiox.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=myokent;action=display; num=1025696654;start=1

The Maple Tools Virtual driver may be a better solution in your case.  I haven't seen it, but it's probable that VSL just needs some virtual MIDI driver -- not necessarily MIDI Yoke.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 6:50pm »

Although thius topic has been quiet for some time, I'm going to add some follow as I have learned some more about this problem.

I recently purchased a TASCAM US-122 device and it came with a bundled version of GigaStudio 24 vers 2.53.  I already have MIDI Yoke drivers on this machine, and I decided to install GigaStudio to see what all the fuss was about, particualrly since TASCAM now owns GigaStudio.

First Problem: Quirky Installer
The installer suggested using MIDI Yoke NT 1 as the MIDI device.  I knew from reading here, that that wasn't a good idea, so I chose the hardware MIDI port: US-122.  After closing the port choosing dialog I saw that the Install page had NOT changed: it still said MIDI Yoke NT 1!  So I tried it a few more times, and then figured it was just an installer bug. Though, for the life of me, I don't know why they wouldn't choose their own MIDI device as the default?

Anyway, I launched Gigastudio and it came up this first time, and it was set to the US-122 MIDI input device even though the installer had lied.  I was able to load and plays some sampler files and it all seemed to be working, so I shut it down.  Then I tried relaunching it: Sure enough, it hung the machine peaked on 100% CPU and heating the CPU something awful.  As this was a notebook PC, the only way I could kill it was holding the power switch for 10 seconds or so.  Then I started thinking: if it launched the first time, it likely could be made to launch again.  I started poking around it's install file log and registry settings and found a few things.

Second Problem: it relies on 3rd Party settings
Probably one of the reasons they've never been able to address this issue, is that they seem to rely on a (3rd party?) component, called "Conexant Endless Wave" for the MIDI settings, as far as I can tell.  Maybe it's their product?  Who knows?  Anyway it was screwed up... When I looked at those registry settings, among other settings, I saw the following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Conexant\EndlessWave\Settings

MidiInDrv0 = "MIDI Yoke NT: 1"
MidiInDrv1 = "US-122 MIDI Port"
MidiInDrv2 = "MIDI Yoke NT: 8"
NumMidiInDrv = 3

Yikes!  That's not what it should be using!  I renamed the existing values (in case I wanted to restore them later: XXXMidiInDrv0xxx, etc.) and wrote a new String Value:

MidiInDrv0 = "US-122 MIDI Port"

and changed the count:

NumMidiInDrv = 1

Then I relaunched GigaStudio 2.53 and it loaded OK.  However, on the settings page there was no MIDI In device assigned?  So I reselected "US-122 MIDI Port"  and (Important!) pressed [Apply].  After I verified that it worked, I exited the app and then tried relaunching.  This time it relaunched OK, and the settings had taken: it was using the "US-122 MIDI Port" for input.  I exited again and looked at the registry: the Conexant keys had not changed from how I modified them.  So everything now seems OK, and I can use GigaStudio and keep MIDI Yoke installed on the machine.  Although, I'm pretty sure MIDI Yoke NT will not work within GigaStudio.

I don't know why TASCAM won't talk about this work-around, but it sure appears to be a bug in their software.

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2004, 6:54pm by Jamie OConnell » IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Chadwick

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 8:28pm »

Thanks Jamie,  
I'll pass that on to the Tascam guys.
Perhaps they're unaware of this behaviour.

Cheers
Rick
IP Logged
gugliel

MIDI-OX Rules!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 3:25pm »

That setting change fixed my GS!   I had come looking for an answer to the 100% cpu utilization after installing midiyoke (not midi ox).   Simply deleted the 4 keys for input (which for me, said "Maple Midi something" from an uninstalled version of maple)!   Immediately fixed the problem.   Now I'm using midiyoke + gigastudio, and also using midiyoke successfully with the 'midi-utilities-for-windows' net midi!   Works better than 'giga teleport' from my sonar on one xp to gigastudio on another xp across a gigabit ethernet.  

EDIT -- actually the 100% came back when I loaded instruments into gigastudio -- then it went away for good by assigning all four Gigastudio Input port to my physical midi controller, pushing 'Apply', and then re-assigning those inputs as "None" (which is the correct configuration, I think).   Now the problem is gone gone.  

Thanks!  
Guglielmo
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2004, 3:33pm by gugliel » IP Logged
Jamie OConnell
Administrator

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 4:02pm »

I'm glad, but I haven't had quite as good luck.  Gigastudio crashed my laptop regularly, so I've uninstalled it and threw it in the trash.
IP Logged

--Jamie
Music is its own reward.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

MIDI-OX User Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.